The Vienna Woman’s Club (VWC) was
originally formed under the name of Vienna Hills Woman’s Club by 22 women on
October 12, 1955. The first president was Mrs. A.H.VanHuison. In 1956, the Club became affiliated with the
VA Federation of Women’s Clubs and also the General Federation of Women’s
Clubs. During that same year, its name
was changed to the Vienna Woman’s Club.
One of the most important early projects was
the annual Holiday Bazaar, which began in 1961.
The Club received the “Outstanding Single Art Event” award from the VFWC. This successful event remains the sole fundraiser for the Club.
In 1962, the Club inaugurated a scholarship
program for outstanding high school students in Vienna. In addition, monies are donated to the four
local elementary schools. It is
estimated that the Club has donated over $100,000 for this venture over the
The VWC has served as official hostess for
the Town on numerous occasions - the dedication of the new Post Office in 1959,
the Town Hall building in 1964 and the Community Center in 1966.
At the request of Mrs. Catherine Filene
Shouse, donor of the Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts, members
of the VWC have on numerous occasions hosted, prepared and served refreshments
at various events, including to all performers at the annual Wolf Trap Holiday
Sing-Along. For this service the Club
has received a District Merit Award in the Arts, a National “Best Overall”
Certificate and Commendation for Outstanding Achievement in Fostering Community
Art by the GFWC, and an honorable mention in 2008.
In 1984, the VWC established a Gift of Life
Donor Fund to provide aid to recipients of organ transplants not covered by
insurance. This aid was administered by the
Fairfax Hospital System with approximately $4,500 of donated funds.
On October 12, 2005 the VWC presented a
bench to the Vienna Community Center commemorating the Club’s 50th
anniversary. The VWC celebrated its 50th anniversary with a
champagne reception at the Westwood Country Club. Vienna Town Council Member, Maud Robinson, a
former VWC President and long-time member, was the Honorary Chairperson. Dignitaries of the State, Fairfax County and
Town of Vienna joined the members and past members expressing the sincere
appreciation for the Vienna Woman’s Club and its excellence in providing
continuing service to the community.
GWC Virginia District President, Joan Rogers presented an anniversary
certificate to VWC. Rep. Tom Davis of Virginia, member of the US House of
Representatives, entered a synopsis of the activities and history of the VWC in
the Congressional Record on October 17, 2005.